Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ezra's Eulogy for 'Poppa'

Dear Poppa,

As I have come to terms with your passing, I have tried to make sense of it all.

I have tried to understand why (how) I had to walk away from your bed knowing that I would probably never be with you again.

I tried to understand how I was supposed to say goodbye to you. You, Poppa, who since the moment I was born have been a self-evident truth. I always knew somewhere out there in this wide and, at times, scarey world you were there.

I have tried to understand how this world can take away you, my grandfather, from us who we hold you so dear.

I have tried to understand how your soul was here sixteen years ago, when I was born, how you were here ten years ago, one year ago, but not tomorrow...

Poppa, I will never know the answers to these questions, but what I do know is that I take comfort knowing that you have become part of something larger and more meaningful than any position we hold here on Earth, a place in our hearts.

Thank you, Poppa, for all the wisdom you have imparted to me.

Thank you, Poppa, for all those jokes and witty descriptions.

Thank you, Poppa, for all those great homemade meals cooked by Grammy you shared with me.

Thank you, Poppa, for giving me my father who has given me my mother who has given me my brother and sister.

Thank you for giving me my aunts and uncle who have given me my cousins.

Thank you for giving me this family.

Thank you for giving me all these wonderful friends of yours.

And, most of all, thank you for giving me all these years of love and support.

I have always dreamed of seeing your twinkling blue eyes at my graduation and I promise that after I look out and find Grammy's beautiful and elegant figure, I will look up to see you.

I love you, Poppa, my grandfather.

No comments: